So . . . I know this is strange, but I do some of my best thinking while doing the dishes. That is provided the kids are asleep and there aren't so many dirty dishes that I'm trying not to let the piles collapse on the floor while scrubbing the ones filling the sink. Today was one of those blessed days where the mindless task led me to thinking about defining moments in my life. I decided that it is absolutely hilarious that we think we have to go find out who we are directly after high school.
So many people think that they are going to suddenly know everything about themselves the week they move into a dorm or walk into their first college classroom. Don't get me wrong, I learned a lot about myself and my priorities when I went to college, but I've learned more about myself in the last three years than I ever did while going to school.
I think that this phenomenon of self discovery is such a wonderful thing and that led me to think about two things that religious leaders around the globe caution people against: Pride and Jealousy. I realised that we are who we choose to be. If we are too proud of who we are and what we have, we lose the ability to live in the moment and roll with the punches life throws at us. When we envy what others have, we lose the ability to be happy with our current lot and we let that jealousy guide our decisions. Those guided decisions make us unable to see who we could have become on our own.
Today I pledge to be happy in the moment. To discover myself, be happy with who I have been, who I am, and who I will become. Joy in the Journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment