So, this probably isn't the most appropriate way to start a blog as it is not the most positive thing I've ever said, or thought, but here I go. I am a Stay at Home Mother, I am also a self assured, empowered woman who wants neither your pity, nor your condescension.
I wonder why it is that when introducing myself to a working mother I'm required to say when asked what I do for a living that I, "only stay at home." I don't understand that "only" that seems to be required. I also don't understand the inevitable response of, "Well, you're lucky." I'm not lucky. I did not just suddenly wake up one morning to find that I had two children who I suddenly needed to provide for, nor am I financially independent, nor do I have everything that I want and too much time on my hands. Luck has nothing to do with my situation, just as it has nothing to do with the decisions of women who work.
I feel that many of the issues in society today stem from people assuming that mothering has to do with luck instead of hard decision making. Some of the decisions that I have made in order to be a stay at home mom have been extremely difficult including but not limited to the following:
Being extremely financially insecure, and knowing that going back to work could help with some of this instability.
Leaving a job that I loved, was good at, and loved having me.
Leaving the chance at a second career path that would have fulfilled some of my greatest talents.
Moving into a home that was not really nice, but was what we could afford.
Having to use hand-me-down clothing for my children.
Having said all of this, one might ask why I decided to be a stay at home mom in the first place. I would answer, because it is the best choice for me and for my family. To all of you women who work, thank you for doing what you need to do for your family. To all of you women who stay home, thank you for doing what you need to do for your family. None of us is lucky, all of us are blessed.
well said. I just finished a blog post about being a Mom and not working.
ReplyDeleteLindsay! You said it perfectly. I am so happy that you are YOU. Way to recognize and point out that the full time at home moms and work away from home moms do make deeply personal individual choices about what is best for them. Our job is not to judge each other, our's is to support and love. You continue to amaze me with your wisdom. I look forward to reading your posts.
ReplyDeleteLove Mom